Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Currently Listening
Ice Caps: Peaks of Telluride
By Sam Bush


So today I mentioned to Brian that I love the dentist (having just been there). He said he'd never heard anyone say that before. Now, I know the lore is that dentists are hated and people just don't like to go there. Honestly, I am always so happy when I come out of there. My teeth are sparkling clean, no plaque, and every time I leave the dentist I know at least one part of me is perfect (even the dentist says so... though it isn't exactly true). So yes, I like going to the dentist. HA!
However, the last time I went to the doctors was forever ago...

The 'grad student/faculty retreat' tonight was really really good. It is a smallish department and everyone I met and who talked seemed so nice. I don't think one professor DIDN'T say that their door is always open and to visit them. There are lots of us new students and being new forges bonds I've found. You guys would be so proud of me. I wasn't a wallflower! So, I'm excited. The only thing I'm worrying about now is the fact that I'm taking 13 credits and working 20+ hours a week at a very involved job. Everyone I've met tells me that 13 credits is a lot. So, we'll see how I do. I'm crazy busy most of the time anyways, so at least that won't be new.

Oh, and the crazy news of the day is that I now have two offices on campus. One from my department, and the one I mentioned yesterday. The graduate students in my program also now are gaining a Grad Student Lounge this year. I won't ever have to go home. I can sleep in the lounge and use the computers in the library. lol I guess that is the life of a grad student and often of professors.
all in all, a good day.

Mary told me this year is "the extroverting of Hannah". Maybe it's "the extroverting of Heather" too.
Posted 8/17/2005 8:26 PM by blu_enigma
I'm helping my sister move into her dorm room on Thursday. I'm moving back to Lawrence on Friday. On Tuesday, I'm flying to New Mexico for my orientation. I get back on Thursday, and I start on Friday. So yeah.
Posted 8/17/2005 10:23 PM by blu_enigma

I can't believe you're a grad student...it's so weird to think that a lot of my friends will be or are becoming grad students. Good luck!!Terri
Posted 8/18/2005 10:51 AM by BluesOn22s

I think you are sick for liking the dentist. Today I went to Watkins and asked if student health insurance covered dentists or eye doctors (I need to go to both), and they said no, neither. I told them that was okay, I will die at an early age with bad eyes and teeth because I was too poor as a student to afford dr. visits hehe Ben hasn't been to the dentist in 3 years! I know that's kinda gross, but we can't afford it and his parents couldn't afford it either. We also don't have life insurance, so don't kill us! hehe
Posted 8/18/2005 2:03 PM by steph421
I have no idea what the point of that little tidbit was, but I guess it was a "yay you're a grad student and you're destined to be poor another few years!" haha
Posted 8/18/2005 2:03 PM by steph421

Thanks, Heather! Good luck to you as well! Absolutely love the picture, btw!
Posted 8/19/2005 7:46 PM by uruka

No comments: