Monday, October 06, 2014

A New Experience - Finishing a MOOC?

Today I embark upon a journey that I hope will be successful. I will be participating in a massive, open, online course (MOOC) that runs from today through November 23rd, hosted by Canvas. It's about education of girls, is being run by the founder of Teachers Without Borders (Dr. Fred Mednick), it is partially inspired by Girl Rising and as a way to recognize the 3rd anniversary of the UN's International Day of the Girl Child on October 11th. 

I realize that to be able to be successful, I must define what that means to me. This is my second MOOC (and really my third-ever completely online course). One was test-driving a new online leadership course for WAGGGS (World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts), and I made it about halfway through. I'd already learned this content through a session at Nuestra CabaƱa 2010 where I was the only young woman from the United States among the around 40 participants. That's hard to top, even when trying to do WAGGGS a favor to test a new course, and even though I was still 'meeting' women my age from around the world. So, I felt a lack of success in that course.

The second course I failed to complete was run through Canvas.net (which Educating Girls is being run through too) and was on the topic of water in the west (US specifically). The expectations of this course were gargantuan, and I never made it past the first assignment (to introduce myself to the class). A few volunteers from the zoo where I work took the class too (upon my advertisement of it!) and every time they came by to say hello and talk about the class I felt like a fool because I could not add any additional commentary. At least the volunteer who finished it all the way through commented on the huge expectations for the course too... and she's retired!

So, whatever the reasons, I have been one of those people who hasn't completed courses in the past. One of Dr. Mednick's comments in his introductory post to this class seemed to be speaking directly to me.

"They say that only 11% of the people who sign up for MOOCs (massive open online courses) actually finish the course. Let's do a lot better than that."

Yes please! I'm hoping that my strong interest in the subject will take me through and meet his goal for us. So, that's one way I'll know I succeeded - if I actually complete the course. This simple-sounding definition of success will certainly take a lot of resolve.

The second hope I have for this course, and a way that I will know I was successful is if I am able to start to generate more agency in myself to make a difference in this world for girls and women. I don't really know what this looks like yet - and I'm hoping this course may give me something that helps me find a path to follow.

I am so excited by the growing conversation about rights for women and girls. It feels like momentum is growing since the first time I saw The Girl Effect years ago (2010?). Perhaps this is just a reflection of the community I've built around myself - mirroring back my own interests (as we know Facebook is prone to do). Even if it is, I'll start with my enthusiasm, and hopefully begin to find small ways to take action.



No comments: