Wednesday, October 08, 2014

I don't want to live a life of quiet desperation!

I keep coming back to the discussions starting to occur in my class... even though I've done the required work for the week already. Somehow I've stumbled onto something that I think is going to be fantastic. Here's a sample of Dr. Mednick's perspective as we all begin to discuss our feelings on the challenges faced by girls around the world, and the privilege that many of us lucked into through birth...

     It is okay to be doomed with a sense of conscience, to worry, to wrestle with the angels, to never 
     feel that you’ve done enough.  It is a driver; it’s what makes us human; it’s a charge we feel.   
     Don’t mean to sound like a Hallmark card, but I refuse to live a life of quiet desperation.  
     I suppose you don’t want to live one, either.  

We don't need people to give us permission to feel, and to feel about things that we can likely never fully comprehend or empathize about. It certainly is nice though to have someone recognize and validate how tough that place can be... even if it may not compare at all to the challenges some other people face.

No comments: