Thursday, December 29, 2011

The Challenge of a Spending Fast

I realized this AM that I had said I was going to get a tattoo, buy some boots (finally) and save for a new desk in 2012, two of which I had thought would occur shortly after the new year.

The desk can wait. I would like a real desk, but I should be thrifting for it rather than purchasing it from Ikea (which I have still avoided despite it's much anticipated opening) or elsewhere. My table works just fine, and is less bothersome now that my hulk of a 11 year old computer has been recycled and I have my nice (used) new macbook!

I suppose the boots can wait too. I don't really have a good skirt or dress to wear with them anyway. The socks I got for Christmas I can still wear (knee socks!), and the leggings can keep me warm till warmer weather allows me to wear flats with them.

The tattoo.... I'm still waffling over it anyways, partially just the pure fact it is a tattoo (really!? I never thought I would!), but also with the anticipated expenses in 2012 I'm wondering if this is a wise use of my money right now. And NOW with the spending fast I'm planning.... hmmm. I'm sure I could come up with a justification. Maybe I live a year with it in henna. I have enough henna to probably get me through most of the year.

Hmmm. In little ways I'm realizing how this will be very challenging. I guess I didn't realize how easily I let myself purchase things when I should have saved up for them. I could say I'd saved for the tattoo... I do have good savings right now. But I think that needs to go to Telluride with me.

And on the other hand it's exciting! I could really change my life in new ways with this fast. So I suppose no tattoo for now.

No comments: