Monday, January 02, 2012

the benefits of tidying up!

I have just a few more hours left till a three day weekend comes to and end, and with it the avoidance of certain tasks. UHG!

One thing I tend to do when I'm procrastinating is clean and tidy my desk, my apartment, whatever is at hand. Well, a huge benefit to doing this today was finding a partially used book of forever stamps! It looks like I'll be in stamps for a good while, since one of the last purchases of 2011 was a book of stamps, knowing the price will be increasing soon.

That doesn't help me with what has to be done.

I also saw The Artist today, using the birthday gift card from my dad. It was great - so cool to see a silent film on the big screen. I found myself very glad that I'd taken the class in college about film of the 1920s. It really was a huge transition to the talkies, and many didn't think they'd last. The movie uses this history as the background to the film, and it's true what the critics and news writers are saying - it feels very much a tribute to filmmaking and its past. Some great cinematography. One shot particularly reminded me of Citizen Kane (which I finally saw, feeling guilty it had taken this film minor so long to see it... I did not particularly enjoy it!) at the angle it was set (both askew and from a lower to the ground perspective). The camera certainly benefitted its actors.

Funniest of all, at one point something was occurring that in a 'talkie' would have made a sudden, loud noise. The moment was somewhat intense/suspenseful, and I found my hands moving up to cover my ears! In a silent film! It makes me wonder about what it would have been like to grow up with silent films and then see a talkie.

I suppose I should remind myself that it was a productive day - even if not in the way I'd hoped. I did lots of laundry (and no using the dryer either - it is all hanging up in the bathroom!), tidied a bit, saw a great movie, finished a good book. A great weekend, if it weren't for tasks I'd liked to have done hanging over my head. I hate how I can guilt myself with that.

Onwards to a new day! The only bad thing that has happened in 2012 is my toughness on myself. I've only talked to people I love, I've only spent money on things I need, and have had delicious food! A great year so far :)

No comments: