Sunday, May 07, 2006

It has been a lovely weekend. Now, over because I'm preparing a presentation for class tomorrow morning. I'm hoping it won't take me too long. Then I'm sleeping!

Sam is home, and so far we've seen each other all three days she's been here. I'm so glad to have summer so close. We played some games yesterday and listened to Garrison Kielor's show... we did mainly because it's good, but also because one of the local groups that played on his show yesterday are a family (the Greenes) we know from church. And then today in senior high sunday school (which I am now helping Bill with, and next year too) Josh, the eldest Greene came in, so it was fun listening to what he had to say about performing on A Prairie Home Companion yesterday. Sam and I really wanted Garrison to talk to the family, especially because Jonah, their youngest (11 years) who plays the drums would have been hilarious.
Check out their website: http://www.freewebs.com/thegreenesband/

Then today later in the afternoon Sam and I went swimming at EPIC and enjoyed ourselves.

Ontology... an interesting word. Something I have to consider for my presentation tomorrow and subsequent paper due Thursday. Ontology: the study of being, the word about the essence of things, the word about being. Madeleine L'Engle calls a blueberry bush ontological, it doesn't have the opportunity to be prideful or selfish, a bush just is, humans on the other hand have to work to just be.

"I go to the brook because I get out of being, out of the essential. So I'm not like the bush, then. I put all my prickliness, selfishness, in-turnedness, onto my isness; we all tend to, and when we burn, this part of us is consumed. When I go past the tallest blueberry bush, where my twine is tied to one of the branches, I think that the part of us that has to be burned away is something like the deadwood on the bush; it has to go, to be burned in the terrible fire of reality, until there is nothing left but our ontological selves; what we are meant to be." pg. 7 "A Circle of Quiet"

No comments: