Sunday, September 11, 2005

Currently Reading
Ecotourism and Sustainable Development: Who Owns Paradise?
By Martha Honey

An interesting weekend. It all seems to have started Wednesday afternoon, when I found my bike tire flat again. Apparently my repair skills aren't up to par, so it still leaked air. Luckily FoCo has a good bus system so I didn't have to wait long to be on my way home bike in tow (the busses can carry bikes!). Thursday night right before I left for the Girl Scout Basics session I was a trainer for I got a phone call from the Apartment Life director letting me know I did get a spot starting Sept 28th in the International House which was surprising news. So, I'll most likely be moving out around a week after my parents get back from Italy. Perfect timing actually... while I miss them to an extent, I know how hard it will be to go back to their style of living rather than continue my own.

Sam also spent the weekend at home, which was a nice break from being kinda lonely. Friday night we went to volunteer at the first meeting of the huge Studio 2B troop for Girl Scouts 11-17 that the council and other volunteers is trying to form because so many of the troops in this age-group dissolve because girls become too busy, Girl Scouts isn't meeting their needs, it has become an uncool extracurricular, or a combination of the latter. We had maybe 30-35 girls at the event and all seemed excited to be there and glad to see Sam and I as some of the only non-moms there (and decidedly well under traditional "mom age", therefore according to GS Nationals we're "teen-savvy"). I told the leader of the troop, Diane, that I'd help out when I could because I think it is a good idea and we really do need to work as hard as we can to keep more girls that age in Girl Scouts. I believe Girl Scouts has done so much for me, I want to give that to other girls. But, they have to stay in the group!

Oh, and I met two other young women who sounded interested in a Campus Girl Scouts group, if anything as a way to socialize with people our own age and perhaps volunteer for GS. Good, this is good.

Church was church. We're about to vote on a capital campaign that will require considerable support in many forms from all of the members if it passes. They want to add on to the church, replace outdated electric and water facilities... make the place something that can meet our growing needs now and in the future. Not a bad idea. I don't have money, so I guess if I vote yes, I'll have to ask Hal or Sharon what I can do to help in other ways.
You know, there are few things that I really truly believe in and know a lot about, things that I can advocate and not feel that usual feeling I have that I actually know nothing. These two are Girl Scouts and the United Church of Christ. I would have never imagined saying that 2nd one, never never. I am not a big fan of Christianity taking over everything and homogenizing the world, however something in me says that if more people came to my church, the world would start to look like a better place (to those who tend towards liberalism, anyways) faster. I feel that more than advocating any specific God, we advocate love and peace!
And that's all the religious I'll get for today. I didn't say I was comfortable discussing my convictions concerning religion, however strongly I may feel. Forgive for any uncomfortableness this post has caused while reading! Rest assured, it won't happen again anytime soon!
'night:)


The sermon today wasn't that bad. The reading was about forgiveness...you know, don't forgive 7 times, but 70 x 7...and he used that to discuss America's attitude after 9/11.
Somewhere along the way, we confused justice with revenge and totally ignored how Jesus advocated forgiveness.
Posted 9/11/2005 11:29 PM by blu_enigma

I'm glad Sam came home with you over the weekend. Congrats on getting a place to live!! I'll have to check that site out later & see where they're putting my Heather. Good for you finding things you're really passionate about, too.
Posted 9/12/2005 7:11 AM by steph421

No comments: